ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:45:27 -0500
Joan,
    I'm writing this to ATEG, but sending it directly to you as well
just to see if  the problem is in my computer or in how it comes out of
the List when redirected.  I'll be happy to send you the last post as well.
     I do think Black English is not so embattled as it once was, though
the good guys did not win the public battle that erupted post Oakland.
Perhaps one reason for the concern on the part of Black students is
their sense that progressive educators are very happy to let Black kids
be themselves, but that this may doom them to living a marginal life.
 At any rate, they have far more at stake here than we do, and it's not
up to us to tell them what the proper way of understanding all this is,
but to help them evolve or develop their own complex positions. It makes
a great classroom topic precisely because it will elicit passionate
college classroom with a number of language minority students (my usual
class), pretty much all sensible positions (and a few not so sensible
ones) will be presented.  The right answer (on how to negotiate these
language worlds) may be different for every student.
    A question like "Do you believe in Black English" is just not
answerable in a yes/no way, and we can't let ourselves get forced into
saying how we feel these students should conduct their lives.  I'm sure
your "yes" wasn't intended that way, but that may, in fact, be what was
heard from their side. (Been there, done that.)  It may not be the
students who have changed, but us or their trust in us?
    Both the prescriptive and "progressive" positions are suspect. I
haven't met a Black parent yet who didn't want his/her child fluent in
mainstream English. They are rightly suspicious when they hear someone
say that Black English is OK.
    Progressive educators have been happy to teach the primary tenets of
sociolinguistics, but have adamantly opposed the teaching of grammar.
    Being for or against may make little difference if the students are
ill served.

Craig