ATEG Archives

August 2009

Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:45:58 -0400
For one in the few times in my life, your question has caught me completely
off-guard.  I think immediately of Hamlet, Plonius says to Orphelia, "Come
go with me."  He asked her to come go with him.  I do not trust Shakespeare
as a guide to English usage; every time someone does, I shriek, "That was
the most unkindest cut of all."

Nonetheless, the imperative (w/wo object) plus infinitive is alive and well
in modern English: all full sentences beginning with 'Let's.'  The indirect
discourse for all second person 'imperative plus infinitive' sentences will
contain 'infinitive plus infinitive.' No?

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD