ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:32:27 -0400
Hmmmm. Strange that they would classify this as an instance of begging
the question.  This seems to me to be a perfectly proper argument, which
one might attack better, perhaps, as an instance of equivocation on
"murdering," one meaning as "taking life" and another as "wrongfully
taking life (as defined by law)."  This would be question begging if I
were to reason: "Capital punishment is wrong because the state's killing
someone cannot possibly be thought of as right."  In this case, the
identical statement is being repeated.  Nothing has been backed with
evidence. I'm "begging" that the statement be accepted without evidence.

==Reinhold