ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Dan Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:24:16 -0700
I would propose that this debate is not really about tense at all...

For some time now, Brad has been harping on this same issue as if
there is a conspiracy amongst the academic establishment to misuse the
English tense system and debase the English language. These sorts of
prescriptive complaints are predictable, tired, and frankly not very
interesting.

You will recall that I was one of the first people to try and move the
discussions towards being more civil a few weeks ago. Having done
that, I have resigned myself to the reality that it is unproductive to
argue with Brad, and doing so just detracts from spending time on more
interesting issues.

Here's why: No matter how you respond to Brad, it is treated as
evidence that he is correct, and he will not engage the substance of
your argument. If you insist that the situation is more complex than
Brad's proclamations allow, it is evidence that you are "fascinated
with incoherence"  and don't belong on the list. If you insist that
different speakers vary in how they use the language, it is treated as
evidence that you deny the existence of Standard English. If you point
out the errors in his reasoning, it is evidence that you are a
cut-throat "linguist" determined on mowing down everyone in your path.
In one of my off-list responses, he has even taken the ad hominem
approach, attacking the way I use tenses in my emails (!), rather than
responding to what I'm saying. If you read them, Brad's numerous
postings on past and perfect tenses are getting incredibly repetitive,
and seem, in sum, more like a cry for attention than an invitation to
a serious debate.

So having said that, I hope we can end this thread and move on to more
productive discussions.

Sincerely,
Dan Roth
Contra Costa College