ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 02:45:42 -0500
Scott,

I suspect the reason why you would diagram such a sentence as you would is the same reason why I would too:  Reed-Kellogg diagrams don't really provide an alternative.  Within R-K grammatical analysis, relative clauses can't have zero constituents, and so "that" would have to be in Subject position.  This is, however, not a morpho-syntactic argument; rather, it's an artifact of the model.  We have to consider relative "that" a pronoun because that's what the model tells us it is.  This is one of a number of weaknesses of R-K diagrams, but that's not our topic here, and I tend to agree that, in spite of its limitations, students who have learned R-K diagramming have a significantly better grounding in grammar than students who have not.  It is, after all, a rigorous approach to sentence grammar, something most students are never taught.  Better a flawed system that captures a lot of useful information than no system at all.

Herb