ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:06:13 -0400
Good question.  Will speakers treat LOL as an acronym, pronounce to rhyme with either "call" or "poll," or as an initialism, like NBC or CIA?  Initialisms behave like compound words when it comes to taking affixes, and I suspect the variation between the two renderings will persist.  I wonder if upper vs. lower case has any influence on how it's pronounced, with 'lol" as an acronym and LOL as an initialism.

Herb