ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
SIRAISI Tomio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 05:11:51 +0900
Hello everyone,

I found the following sentence in a grammar book for Japanese students.

The quality of a newspaper depends on the interests and the level of
intelligence of the people living in a society.

In my opinion, "a society" should be "the society".
Am I right?

Ithink that, in this context,it would be better to say "the intellectual
level"
 rather than "the level of intelligence".
"level" or levels"?

Is there any other better way to say?

Thank you in advance.

SIRAISI Tomio