ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:35:34 -0500
TJ,
    There is a slightly different dynamic between past and present
(cognitively), so the answer may be yes and no. There are choices in
the system. I can choose past or present, but not both. I can choose
perfect or progressive or neither or both. I can choose active or
passive. (Active would be default.) The dynamics shift a bit because
of the different ways we construe present and past time. We also have
time reference conjunctions and adverbials that influence the meaning,
so sometimes perfect aspect can seem like an option (as in "After I
had finished the book, I returned it to the library). If we think of
this in functional terms, we have different ways to keep clear these
time relations.
    I don't think there is a future tense. We can use present tense to
refer to something that hasn't happened yet. "My plane leaves in an
hour." We can also make present time (time of the utterance) judgments
about the likelihood or desirability of something that hasn't happened
yet, using the modal adjuncts. "My plane will leave. My plane might
leave. My plane can't leave. My plane shouldn't leave." I like to
think of "will" as an expression of certainty. It's a judgment. The
modals function mainly by adding these kinds of judgments.

Craig

Craig,