ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
Dan Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:22:11 -0700
John:

I think the relevant distinction here is between open-class lexical
categories and closed-class lexical categories. The former includes
most nouns and verbs. The latter includes more "functional" parts of
speech--articles, negation, auxiliaries, conjunctions, etc. A key
difference is that speakers can freely coin new open-class items, but
it is just about impossible to coin new closed-class items.
Closed-class items are almost always one or two syllables, while
open-class items can be much longer.

Generally speaking, the usage of most closed-class items tends to be
learned very early in the language acquisition process of native
speakers, whereas it the open-class items take a lot longer, in part
because there are so many of them. I don't know a ton about language
acquisition, and it goes beyond my expertise to say why this is so.
Some people have suggested it's because closed-class items just appear
so frequently in speech. Other people have suggested that there's
something more cognitively "basic" about closed class items.

--Dan Roth
Contra Costa College