ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:37:14 -0500
John, TJ,
    Another analysis would be that it is "complex transitive" with the
infinitive being the eqquivalent of what traditional grammar calls
"object complement."
    They helped us trawl...
    They made us trawl....
    They permitted us to trawl....
    They allowed us to trawl....
    They forced us to trawl...

    Passive versions

    We were made to trawl....
    We were helped to trawl...
    We were allowed to trawl...>
    We were forced to trawl....

    I think we use this sort of agentless passive when the agency is
understood or not immediately important. "Smoking is permitted
only...." "Teachers aren't allowed to strike their students." If my
memory is correct, most passives in discourse are agentless.

Craig
 John,