ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:47:52 -0500
There's an argument on how the grammar of "A Modest Proposal" relates to its rhetoric. This argument appears in Charles Kay Smith's "Towards a Participatory Rhetoric," College English, Nov. 1968, and it's also incorporated in Smith's first-year writing textbook, "Styles and Structures: Alternative Apporaches to College Writing." Smith doesn't argue that grammar alone tells us us how to read "A Modest Proposal," but he does suggest that the interaction of gramamr (specifically, sentence structure) with diction and rhetoric helps create meaning by prompting readers not to trust the narrator.

For example, Smith observes that there are many sentences in the essay (including the opening sentence) which feature a short main clause followed by heavily modifed subordinate clauses. He then points out that those short main clauses feature a lot of abstract and general words (e.g., "It is a melancholy object," at the beginning of the opener), while the subordiante clauses are loaded with concrete, specific words (e.g., "beggars," "all in rages," "importuning," in the subordinate clauses). The grim details in the subordinate clauses give readers reasons to distrust the lofty assurance of the essay's narrator (or "projector") in the main clauses.

I'm probably not doing justice to the argument, but it's worth reading if you're not familiar with it--and I think it could be used to support the claim, as summarized by Craig, that 'grammar is inherntly discourse oriented, inherently tied to cognition." For me, this claim doesn't at all imply that grammar alone determines meaning, but only that grammar plays a critical rolein determining meaning. Robert and Craig, I wonder if you would both agree that grammar is necessary but not, by itself, sufficient to produce meaning in language.

Brian