ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
Janet Castilleja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 15:38:00 -0400
I was working with a group of ESL students discussing complex verb
phrases.  We discussed this sentence: "He had finished with his homework by
the time he arrived."  One of the students asked whether it would be
acceptable to say "He was finished with his homework by the time he
arrived."  I said it would be, but to my chagrin, I could not explain the
verb phrase.  I sent query below to [log in to unmask]