ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:20:44 -0600
Odd thing is that most of the state and federal gov't sites I've looked (including US Senate) have been going with "pro tempores" when pluralizing.   I'm going to look more closely at the academic sites and see what the norm is.

Larry

Larry Beason
Associate Professor & Composition Director
Dept. of English, 240 HUMB
Univ. of South Alabama
Mobile AL 36688
(251) 460-7861
>>> Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]> 12/18/09 2:15 PM >>>
Larry,

Wikipedia has an entry for "Presidents pro tempore of the United
States<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidents_pro_tempore_of_the_United_States_Senate,_1911-1913>."
I would bet good money that the overwhelming majority of academics would
favor "chairs pro tempore." If you went with that, perhaps a few might
consider it highfalutin. If you went with "president pro tempores," more
than a few would consider it ignorant.

Dick Veit