ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:50:17 -0500
Craig - Your post focuses precisely on the reason why I avoid terminology
and concentrate instead on meaning.  I like your example of poor Tom Dooley
(HOW MANY TIMES HAS POOR TOM DOOLEY HUNG DOWN HIS HEAD AND DIED - PROBABLY
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG WHILE!).  It's an interesting question to
pose to students - how can you create one sentence that focuses on the
hanging and another on the time of the hanging?

The problem I have with the examples you provide is that the meaning seems
based more on the verb tense than the arrangement of the complements and
modifiers.  For example, let's focus on the past - "They hung (SHOULDN'T IT
BE 'HANGED'?) Tom on Tuesday."  I'll agree that this focuses on the hanging
rather than the day.  However, "Tom's hanging is on Tuesday" re-directs the
focus not by the complement/modifier but by the verb tense.  Keeping the
same tense, it would seem to me that "On Tuesday, they hanged Tom" would
re-focus the meaning while keeping the past tense; or even better, "It was
Tuesday when they hanged Tom".  (IT'S AT THIS POINT THAT ALL MY FRIENDS RUN
AWAY WHEN I'M TELL THEM WHAT I DO WITH MY DAY!).

The point is simply this - making students learn terminology is confusing.
Every  example that we've used is perfectly within the capability of every
native speaker.  Therefore, the so-called "journalistic" questions are much
more than simple tools - they are the essence of meaning itself.  And I
agree - a good sentence is not one that is jam-packed but rather one that
leads the reader, following from what has preceded it; introducing and
suggesting what follows.

It's not merely journalism that uses these tools - every novel creates
meaning by answering the journalist's questions, and the answers are created
by using specific grammatical constructions that every native speaker
already knows (any young child, for example, knows that the answer to the
question "Why did you break the lamp?" is answered by a dependent clause
sentence fragment:  "Because my sister pushed me!").

Therefore, instead of teaching dependent clauses (or other pieces of
grammatical terminology), it's more important to teach how to create "why"
meanings (there 4 ways - simple explanations, cause/effect, conditional
cause/effect, and comparison/constrast) or "when" meaning or "where"
meaning, etc.  This is not to say that a student should never utter the word
"dependent clause" - only that learning the term is much less important than
learning how to construct the meaning and that learning how to construct
meaning does not depend on learning the term.

Therefore, the approach isn't about "replacing the need for a deeper
understanding of what language is and how it works."  My contention is that
we should re-direct our efforts from endless definitional arguments that
most of the world finds stultifying to finding ways to help students create
meaning by using the language they already know.

Geoff