ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:05:24 -0800
Like Herb, I'm not fond of either analysis, but it's a good question.

Apart from the things Herb mentions, also notice the way inverted and
pseudo-cleft sentences behave:

1:
 (a) My puppy can demolish her toys in no time.
 (b) Demolish her toys in no time my puppy can.
 (c) *Can demolish her toys in no time my puppy.
 (d) Demolish her toys in no time is what my puppy can do.
 (e) *Can demolish is what my puppy (does) her toys in no time.
 (f) *Can demolish her toys in no time is what my puppy (does).

Now compare the same variations without an auxiliary:

2:
 (a) My puppy demolished her toys in no time.
 (b) Demolished her toys in no time my puppy did.
 (c) *Demolished her toys in no time my puppy.
 (d) Demolish her toys in no time is what my puppy did.
 (e) *Demolished is what my puppy her toys in no time.
 (f) *Demolished her toys in no time is what my puppy.

Notice that in general, the tense cannot be fronted. It must stay in
place even if we need to add a dummy auxiliary to hold the tense. (2b
does have a redundant tense, but the 'did' at the end is mandatory.)

So not only does the tense move without the lexical VP (Herb's
examples), but the VP moves without the tense.

Rather than a MVP, or even a single AUX unit, I prefer to say that an
auxiliary verb simply takes a non-finite VP as a complement, and when
you have a string of auxiliaries, each auxiliary has the next as its
complement so (to use a perversely complex example):

 the school [should [have [been [being [renovated during the summer.]]]]]

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College