ATEG Archives

September 2005

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:11:41 -0400
The software I use for my classes (www.sendraw.ucf.edu) would not be good for your purposes because it doesn't save in any commonly accessible formats.

I have found that Logitech's IO pen works very well, if hand-drawn diagrams are acceptable.  http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/digitalwriting/US/EN,CRID=1545

Beth

Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

>>> [log in to unmask] 9/13/2005 2:51 PM >>>
Michael,

I was one of the persons who responded * I use MS Visio.  This has been a practical decision, due to the fact that my publishing is in the form of web pages.  This software allows me to copy parts of some diagrams for use in others.  It also allows me to make .gif files that display with a smaller amount of information than a .jpg version (which it also allows).  There was a version of the software that did not preserve all the fonts, but that problem seems to be fixed with the 2003 release.  The flexible size of a web page has contributed to the decision to keep my publishing there for now.  (Also the lack of any remuneration for this work.)  [I would probably not want to recommend it for your application.]  I have extracted about 108 diagrams from Reed and Kellogg, adjusted many of them, and put them on my web site along with some commentary.

Bruce
http://userpages.burgoyne.com/bdespain/
(It is the second item under English Grammar)

Can anybody help me find software with which I could create Reed Kellogg diagrams to incorporate or paste into a Microsoft Word document?

Could the person who wrote several months ago about using MS Visio (Herb Stahlke?) please write again?  I thought I carefully saved the message, but I can't find it.

If somebody has had a book published that uses diagrams, could you direct me to somebody at your publisher who might be able to give me diagramming software information?

For those interested in the story behind this urgent call for help:  Edith Wollin and I are about to revise the self-published syntax textbook used here at North Seattle Community College.  It includes about 350 R-K diagrams created in Adobe Pagemaker.  A technology person at our college worked out a brilliant system for creating the diagrams in Pagemaker, and we became able to create the diagrams very efficiently.  The trouble isw that we cannaot go in to the Pagemaker documents to alter, delete, or add disgrams without throwing the whole document into total disarray.  Thus our search for an alternative.

Thanks!

Michael Kischner
206 528 4540

This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.