ATEG Archives

October 2004

From:
Kent Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:52:39 -0500
Any quick help would be appreciated here.

The sentence, "Return without delay to become who you truly are."

This "sounds" right to me. But should the "who" be read as the object
of the infinitive or as the complement of the clause (the whole clause
as object of the infinitive)? What makes me ask is that the "who" could
thought of as "the person," in which case we could substitute the
pronoun "him." Also, if it is "who," wouldn't we be saying "...to become
you truly are he"?  What is the pronoun more a part of: the infinitive
or the clause?

Kent