ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
James Bear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:53:13 -0500
What it comes down to is that everybody is different and everybody
learns differently.  I don't recall what I learned or when I learned it
(maybe nothing and never), but with my first child I learned that it
just rubs off.  The girl could read without anybody trying to teach her
by the time she was three.  By six, she was reading 'chapter books' and
writing stories with very few errors.  She is now 9 and has surpassed
most of my high school sophomores and and even a large percentage of  of
my seniors.  But, she can't spell worth a darn.  Why not?  Given a
spelling list that she can study, she always gets them all right, but
when writing a story or an essay she spells simple things incorrectly.
Why?  I don't know, but I assumed she just wasn't trying.  I was certain
that her punctuation and her reading skills just rubbed off through
immersion.  I thought this probably happened with everybody because I
had no evidence to the contrary except for some high school students
that couldn't seem to get it at all.  I assumed that this was because
nobody ever asked them to read.  Nobody read to them.  Nobody asked them
to write. Nobody asked them to speak.  And when I asked them to do these
things, they were lazy.  I assumed this was all a combination of bad
parenting and lazy genetics.  More than grammatical and organizational
instruction, I had them read and write.  It seemed to work for all of
them except the lazy ones.

Then I had a son.  I now rely less on immersion.

--

James Sebastian Bear
Montpelier Public School