ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:02:10 -0700
JEFF GLAUNER writes:

>Sentence patterns without an understanding of the types
> of verbs in the sentences are not of much value.  That's why a full
> discussion of sentence patterns always includes the verb.  Because this is
> so important, I devote significant time to examination of the verb in
> English.  Except for the ESL student, however, the verb is not terribly
> complex.

I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of teaching the verb types with
the sentence patterns (how can you leave it out?!?!?!?!?!), but if you think
it's "not terribly complex," you haven't spent much time with modern high
school students! Teaching these three simple verb types ... :

>We have to differentiate among intransitive, transitive, and
> linking.  We also, have to know how to deal with number.

... is a slow-going, long-term, frustrating project -- and one which is
generally lost during summer vacations! Try it sometime.

We really need to find a way to recommend a solid program that begins in the
early grades. That means getting elementary and middle school teachers into
this assembly!

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School