ATEG Archives

January 1997

From:
"c. Hartnett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 22:59:47 -0500
Dear recipients of ATEG,
        I was glad to read a note from an Australian, Donald Hocking,
because i am interested in knowing the current situation there. I was in
Sydney last July for an international linguistics congress and a conference
on Working with Functional Grammar in the School Curriculum. I heard
teachers, administrators, and university faculty bragging that they had the
best English language and literacy programs in the world. That was
refreshing.  I was impressed with the theory and have been trying to apply
it here.  However, there were two problems:  training teachers and some
politically-based official antagonism because the program had come in under
the previous political power.  What is the current political attitude there
now?

Welcome to Donald.

Carolyn Hartnett
[log in to unmask]     or