ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Julie Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:44:12 -0600
What if I ask John, "Where have you lived in your lifetime?" Seems to me
that "I've lived in Nashville," as well as "I've lived in Nashville and
Amarillo" are good (ie acceptable, understandable, even accurate)
answers, even if he stopped living in Nashville a long time ago. One of
the ways I learned tenses was with this progression:

Today I ________  (i.e. live in Nashville--simple present)
Yesterday I __________ (lived in Amarillo--simple past)
In my lifetime I ______________ (have lived in Nashville, Amarillo, and
several other places--past perfect)

This teaches that "simple past" is not the same as "past perfect,"
because the uses for "past perfect" are not simple--they're kind of
complicated--they require thinking about time in/on several different
levels. This gets really philosophically interesting, I think, as
language always does of course when we're translating between languages
and looking at how various linguistic constructions reflect different
kinds of thinking about all kinds of issues, like identity and otherness
and time and so on.

But the bottom line, for me, when I'm trying to coach my students in
effective creative and argumentative writing, is context and audience.
If the audience will be confused (as perhaps Brad is, perversely or
not), my students need to know options for alleviating that confusion.
And one thing I see far too often is that even in college, students
don't know their options. I like to think a short progression like the
one above can help them see some differences between tenses, without a
lot of stiff-handed rule-mongering.

Onward and upward!

Julie

>>> "Brad Johnston" <[log in to unmask]> 08/21/10 8:36 AM >>>
John,

I regret your distress. Maybe it will help if you realize that I
responded to
exactly what Jack wrote to me.

For something "in return", note that if your students understand, really

understand, these three lines, they will know most, maybe all, of what
they need
to know about the present perfect and the past perfect.

John lived in Nashville for 10 years (but now lives in Amarillo).

John has lived in Nashville for ten years (and still does).

When John moved to Amarillo, he had lived in Nashville for 10 years.

.brad.21aug10.