ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
Jan Kammert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:51:54 +0000
I am a public school teacher.

I understand Eric's point.  If teachers had a small number of students in each class, public school would be completely different.  Are tax payers willing to fund class sizes under ten?

If all students came to school after a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast, then public schools would be a better place.

------------ Original message from Eric Muhr <[log in to unmask]>: --------------

Hi, my name's Eric, and I was home-schooled. The curriculum was both rigorous and rigid. I was introduced to basic algebra in 3rd grade and encouraged to read and read and read. When I entered the public school system, I tested years ahead in both reading and math and was offered a chance to skip two grades. But it wasn't all good. Grammar instruction involved the memorization of labels and rules. Social studies largely ignored primary documents, focusing instead on a revisionist, fundamentalist-Christian view of the world. Science instruction was non-existent. The value of home-schooling, as far as I can tell, is its dependence on parent-child interactions that strengthen the family and give each student far more adult attention than he would get in the traditional school system. Eric Muhr