ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:15:13 -0600
As someone who is actually involved in having more people learn English as a second language (I teach non-native speakers of English and pre-service ESL teachers), Craig is absolutely correct.

We are a country with a great numbers of different cultures.  I have no idea how discussing those cultures impedes learning English.

A lot of what Brad shared with us doesn't seem anything even a conservative in Australia would say. The US, unlike Australia, broke ties with UK early and rejected ever having a state religion. In fact, our constitution denies having any religious test for office.  We have never recognized the President of a protector of any faith.

I have had the good fortune of living in France for over two years.  So, I was never "just" a tourist.
 I have never experienced the following:

> In my travels in France, I have had a number of Frenchmen say to me, in
> English, "Of course I speak English but you are in my country and we will
> speak French", to which the only reasonable reply is, oui, bien sur --
> yes, of course.

No one ever made fun of how heavily accented and ungrammatical my French was.  I was welcomed into people's homes and shared drinks with French wherever I went.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri

>>> Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> 12/13/09 11:28 AM >>>
    Is there any evidence that "honoring other cultures in the classroom"
impedes teaching English? My experience has been directly the
opposite. Are there schools in the US that don't value English
instruction? Does anyone on list know of such a school?
   We are a nation of immigrants and a nation built on separation of
church and state, but we have always been a nation in which
anti-immigrant sentiment has been used to divide us, often fanned for
selfish political purposes.
   I hope we are all in favor of teaching languages other than English and
in favor of respecting those languages when students bring them to
school. It is nonsense to suggest that this is some sort of trade-off.
I hope we can conduct our discussions on the basis of what is really
happening and avoid divisive distortions.

Craig

 What I hoped you'd see in the quote, regardless of its origin, is, "We