ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:37:50 -0500
I wonder if this use of "although" doesn't reflect a speech pattern by which conjunctions, both coordinating and subordinating, are followed by a strong pause, a sort of comma pause, and so take on sentence-adverb status, like "however."  It's not unusual to find sentence-initial "but" followed by a comma in informal writing, and I know that I've used "although" adverbially in this way in speech.  I'm not sure it's even non-standard anymore, at least in speech.  Although, it's not accepted usage in formal writing though.

Herb

Paul,
      I have noticed the same problem in native speakers.  Since preposition use is often idiomatic, the only approach  I see is to teach use of specific pronouns as errors arise.  I am also seeing an increase in the misuse of other function words, particularly the confusion of subordinate conjunctions and conjunctive adverbs.  Students are, for example, using "however" and "although" as if they were interchangeable.  Jane Healy writes about these problems with syntax and clear thinking in Endangered MInds; Why Our Children Don't Think.  As I recall,she attributes it to decreasing amounts of interactive language experience in children's lives.  TV goes too fast and parent-child interaction is hurried--the connecting words get lost.  I am not doing justice to her argument here.

Fay Sweney