ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
peyman javadi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:42:09 -0800
Okay my question is about gerunds and participles.  Now w
Hello all,

Okay my question is about gerunds and participles.  Now we know that they are verb forms that can be used as nouns.  Typically gerunds end in ing and participles can often appear in the ed or en endings of verbs like  broken or worked.  Am I right so far?  It seems I came across and example or two of participles that also end in ing.  Could you please explain to me how to distinguish between the two; it seems to me that if an ing ending is used in an adjective context, then that ing ending is considered a participle.  However, I am not a 100% certain about this.  I will simply look forward to your explanations.

Thanks

Peyman