ATEG Archives

December 2009

Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:01:46 -0500
I hate to generalize; however, a creative writing teacher, author or not,
would be the last person that I would ask about correct usage--just behind
the journalism major.  I suffered a full term with a PhD in creative writing
from a prestigious school who had a lot of problems with my writing.  I had
to carefully explain that 'bases' is not an incorrect spelling of 'basises
but is the plural of 'basis.'  That was only one of his misgoofs--but it
typlified his English. Interestingly enough, he was a good teacher on
English Novels: he just was incompetent with any vocabulary or grammatical
construction not heard on the streets.  The teacher was an intelligent
middle class Caucasian from a school in VA: no justification evident for his
weaknesses.  In days of yore one did not evaluate professors except by
avoiding them if at all possible or by standing in line early to get their
classes.  But we did evaluate--informal as it may have been.  We boycotted
one atrocious professor and wondered whom he had slept with or paid off to
get his degrees.  The departmental response was to use 'staff' as the name
of all Freshman English instructors and penalized anyone who dropped his
class after seeing who he was.  The only advanced class that he taught was a
required class offered only once a year.
In case our instruction pattern sounded like a lockstep, students were
allowed to make any errors that they wished on paper as long as they put an
asterisk after the error and explained themselves in a footnote at the
bottom of the page.  In a paper on why egoists never cheat, I explained
that, regardless of past history of achievement, egoists are always certain
that they know more than any neighboring test-takers.  I emoted, "More
credible a blasphemous priest than a dishonest egoist." and added my
asterisk.

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus
history & languages