ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
Susan Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:34:35 -0600
At 09:49 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Edith Wollin wrote:

>I don't think that most people are really talking about returning to the way
>things used to be taught; they are saying that grammar/syntax does need to
>be taught.  . . .  Those of us who have discovered what
>Martha calls rhetorical grammar have found a way to teach grammar that also
>improves student writing.  I think that this approach can do for grammar
>study what the writing process has done for composition. . .

Thee may also be some other equally valid reasons for teaching
grammar/syntax, depending on the way in which it is taught.  At some point
in time after I finish my Master's degree, I would be interested in
pursuing some doctoral level research related to interconnections between
reading comprehension, understanding of grammar and syntax, and writing
ability -- sort of a twist on integrating portions of the language arts
tripod that has recently been mentioned.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to go to get both the academic and
financial support to look into the areas I've been thinking about.  I would
need a program that is strong in education (particularly around the middle
school level), composition instruction, reading programs, as well as
grammar.  I'm also looking at developing ways not only to analyze
grammatical structures, but also to play with them, exploring language in a
manner that helps students get a "feel" for language, to develop their
intuitive/implicit understanding as well as their ability to formally
describe what they are doing.

I think it might also be worth drawing connections between ESL grammar
research and teaching and that of mainstream English teachers.  Although
there are some major differences in teaching ESL grammar and teaching
grammar to native speakers, there might be some surprising connections,
also.  (Not to mention the specific strategies for teaching speakers of
English dialects, such as Black English, American Indian Englishes, and
misc. rural dialects -- particular problems they often have with standard,
formal English often running parrallel to problems apparent in ESL
classes).  There seems to be little to no interconnections of research in
these areas, or even awareness that there might possibly be some
correlations or possibility ot transfer of ideas.

I think Ed said something towards the end of one of his posts about the
questions that need to be asked -- and they are all equally important.
Why, How, What, Who, When.

You can talk all you want about whether or not teaching grammar is
possible, but if people are wondering why they should, they aren't going to
be paying much attention to people preaching that they should.  Just
because it was a classic subject once, or some vague idea that it will
"develop their minds" will not cut it with most teachers, unless they
already feel that way.  Although I may have fun with the logical thinking
behind math instruction, I never was interested in studying it for that
reason -- it has practical life applications.  If I can express myself just
as well without understanding formal grammar, why should I waste my time
and energy studying grammar for years and years.

I happen to believe that some forms of grammar instruction can indeed
improve the ability to use language, both receptive and expressive, but I
don't have a solid research base to back up those beliefs.  I think we need
to both develop strategies, research their effectiveness, and develop
theoretical explanations for why we believe they work.  Beyond that, we
need to develop a definition of what it means for grammar instruction to
"work".

Another point one of my teachers made, related to looking at different
methods and comparing their effectiveness.  It is an approach to research
that has limited value in extending our knowledge of learning -- unless you
not only try to see which of two methods works better, but also try to come
to an understanding of why one works better, and test out those ideas in
various ways.

My guess is that for the most effective learning and teaching to take
place, teachers will need to find a way to integrate a variety of
strategies that each focus on developing different aspects of language
development -- rather than trying to find the one teaching method that does
it right.

Susan Mari Witt

240 ERML, MC-051
1201 W. Gregory