ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Nancy Burkhalter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:50:02 -0700
Hi Michael,

Here is a list of books on my favorite subject. As to whether they will be
suitable for students themselves or for your background, I'm afraid I have
to leave that up to you to decide.

Enjoy!

Joseph, John Earl. Eloquence and Power: The Rise and Fall of Language
Standards and Standard Languages. NY: Blackwell, 1987.

Lippi-Green, Rosina. English With An Accent. London: Routledge, 1997.

Bolinger, Dwight. Language--The Loaded Weapon. London: Longman, 1980.

Tollefson, James W. Power and Inequality in Language Education. Cambridge:
Cambridge UP, 1995.

Baker, Colin. Attitudes and Language. Philadelphia: Multilingual Matters,
1992.

Crawford, James (Ed.). Language Loyalties: The Source Book on the Official
English Controversy. Chicago: U of Chicago Press, 1992.

Baugh, John. Beyond Ebonics: Linguistic Pride and Racial Prejudice. Oxford:
Oxford UP, 2000.