ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:40:51 -0500
Herb,
    In a long line of excellent posts, this is one of the best, and I
want to thank you for it. It clarified for me the difference between a
scholarly interest and a pedagogical one with your own work as a
revealing example.
    It should be pointed out that nominalization is an important
functional aspect of our language.  The history of these processes may
be beyond what we would teach at an introductory level, but that doesn't
mean it's an esoteric concern.  What beginning teachers should teach, I
think, is that nouns are not persons places and things, but quite often
ideas and processes. The forms of our language are very fluid, vey
flexible, and this flexibility allows us to talk about far more than the
mere objects of the world.  An idea like that can be introduced very
playfully.
    Since ETS continues to draw in money, maybe they should hire us as
consultants.
     Anyone who wants to join the New Public Grammar listserv should let
me know (off list, so as not to overburden this one.)  I'll be happy to
add you or answer questions about it.  We are tyring to bring together
people from different disciplines for a transdisciplinary approach to
these problems.  By its nature, that involves trying to understand and
meet a deep public need. We would like to formulate clear concepts that
can be an entry point to a deepening understanding of language.
    We have a panel presentation scheduled at the 4 C's conference in
San Antonio later this month.  Perhaps some of you will hook up with us
there.

Craig