ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 08:13:09 -0400
   It makes sense to think that being born is something that happens to
us, but we can't do to someone else.
   A number of behavioural verbs are routinely intransitive: fainting and
dying come to mind.  It may be that the form is passive, but the sense
intransitive. (involuntary).  We say that the child "was brought into
the world" or "came into the world" and both seem reasonable ways to
look at it. (Was it Cosby (Huxtable) who said to Theo "I brought you
into the world and I can take you out of it?") Interesting. It
certainly reveals something about the complex way in which we
understand the process of "borning".

Craig

That is an interesting insight, Edith.