ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:31:14 -0700
Hi, Craig,

I don't understand why you say that the descriptive approach to
language cannot "work in
harmony with composition".  This approach describes all levels of
language, including the text/discourse level, and it is how we find out
how successful texts work. We cannot teach about good writing unless we
know how it is structured in reality -- knowledge that can be
discovered only through descriptive research on actual discourse.
Relying on things like logic is not enough: the concerns of formal
logic are relevant, but impoverished compared to the amount of
information that is relayed by structures that emerge from the
particular way the human mind and body work with respect to things like
where to locate focus points, breath groups in relation to phrase
structure, iconicity in phrase structure (which is what motivates us to
put modifiers near what they modify), things that are important to
humans, but not to logic, such as whether information is first-hand or
second-hand, etc.

It is absurd to think we can teach anything about language without
being grounded in how real language is structured -- it would be like
teaching biology without worrying about what biologists have discovered
over the last few centuries. Many of the problems associated with
grammar and composition teaching stem from inadequate training of
teachers in how language actually works.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374