ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:13:40 -0500
This categorical statement has some problems with it.

> The Reed and Kellogg diagrams unambiguously symbolize almost all the
> relationships found among words in English sentences.  There are
> exceptional usages that create difficulties, but this is true of any
> system of classification.

If I remember the principles of diagramming correctly, UNICORN in the
following two strings would occupy the same slot.

1) A unicorn is in the garden.
2) There is a unicorn in the garden.

Yet, UNICORN has a different relationship in (1) as opposed to (2).  If
you make tag questions out of (1) and (2), you have the following:

3) A unicorn is in the garden, isn't it?
4) There is a unicorn in the garden, isn't there?

Why should that be the case if UNICORN has the same relationship?

I have been looking at Lester's Grammar in the Classroom.  He does not
provide a diagram for (4), but he provides diagrams for (5) and (6).
They have the same structure.

5) John is easy to please.
6) John is eager to please.

As anyone who has read the most elementary discussion about Chomsky
knows, John does not have the same relationship to the rest of the
string in (5) and (6).

7) It is easy to please John.
8) *It is eager to please John.

In fact, John in (6) is the one who wants to please.  John is (5) is the
one is pleased.

Bob Yates