ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:18:44 -0500
I assume that the following statement by Johanna is based on Krashen's
claim about comprehensible input.

> We know that immersion in the target language with practice
> that happens in real communicative contexts -- _doing_ things with
> language -- is very effective in promoting language acquisition, even
> without explicit grammar instruction.

(Although there is a notion in this statement (with practice/output?)
that Krashen explicitly rejected in the following paper: Krashen, S.
(1994). The input hypothesis and its rivals.  In N. Ellis (ed.) Implicit
and explicit learning of languages  (pp. 45-78).  San Diego: Academic
Press.)

On November 29, 1999, I responded to a post by Krashen on the flteach, a
listserv that is a forum on teaching foreign languages in US public
schools.
(I think my note provides the context of my response.  Krashen's
comments were marked by the >'s.)

11/29/99 My post

I really appreciate Steve Krashen telling us that his position about
comprehensible input [CI] can be found in a footnote in his text The
Input Hypothesis.

On Friday, November 26, 1999 he [Krashen] wrote:
>  CI is necessary but not sufficient. This is stated in Input Hypothesis
>  (1985), fn 8, page 25. The hypothesis, in a nutshell, is as follows: CI
>  will give ultimately give you all you need for everyday communication.
> But if you want the redundant aspects of language, the ones that mark
>  you as a member of the group, two routes are available . . .

What he says in that footnote is interesting.  He cites Susan
Goldin-Meadow's work on home sign, the gestural system developed by deaf
children in hearing homes  (The title of the article by Goldin-Meadow
that Krashen refers to is "The resilience of recursion: A study of a
communication system developed without a conventional language model.")
These deaf children were not getting any comprehensible input from any
language because no one in their households knew American Sign Language.

Although I do not understand how research on home sign supports the
comprehensible input hypothesis, I am even more perplexed by how he
identifies the "fragile" properties of language in the footnote, which I
interpret to mean what he called redundant properties in his Nov. 26
post.  These fragile/redundant properties in the footnote are movement
rules, auxiliary structure, inflections, and pro-forms.

. . . .

It is important to consider how vacuous Krashen's claim about
comprehensible input actually is.  Imagine a learner of English who
knows nothing about movement rules (no yes-no questions, no
wh-questions, only relative clauses in which the subject is
relativized), no tense-aspect, and no pronouns, let alone pro-verb or
pro-adverb forms.

Krashen agreed with my characterization.  Here is part of his response.