ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:47:25 -0400
     I would like to echo Amy's call and add that the conference calls
for proposals on visuals and manipualtives, but that we also have a
Friday afternoon working session on scope, sequence, standards, and
assessment, in which I would like to include at least a few
presentations. (Martha, for example, will be presenting with a
representative from the Maryland school that she posted about earlier
about attempts to construct a new kind of grammar curriculum within
their schools. I anticipate presentations on language acquisition,
alternative pedagogies, recent innovations in England, Wales, Australia,
and the like, and so on. Anyone with ideas you want to try out could
contact me or Paul Doniger, the co-chair for the working session.)
    It seems to me that we are at an important moment, since the back to
basics and strong testing  movement has brought grammar back into play
in ways that make progressive educators uncomfortable.  We have an
opportunity to mediate, to make suggestions about ways in which grammar
teaching can be compatible with far more progressive goals. We can do a
great deal as a group that cannot be accomplished individually.  If
nothing else, we can take  official positions that like-minded people
can use in conversations with school boards and principals. We can be an
instrument for thoughtful change.
   If that sounds inviting, come join us.

Craig