ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Rebecca Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 07:19:50 -0500
Dear all of you,

I am copying all of your responses to my question about the subject
of THAT sentence which  appeared in a reading book for true beginning
ESL students.  The task was for the students to ID the subject.
How's that for funky?

This has been a wonderfully wild ride, reading all of your analyses
of that itty bitty sentence.  It reinforces what we teachers always
tell our students, "Even PhD linguists can't agree on sentence
structure."

Rebecca