ATEG Archives

August 2008

From:
"Holt, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:34:02 -0400
ATEG Folks--

New voice here (<not a sentence).

Years ago, at a meeting of the American Philosophical Association, someone argued that while a double negative yields a positive, a double positive does not yield a negative.  Sidney Hook, notorious for being a wise guy, hooted from the back row, "Yeah, sure."

I guess if we want to say that "Colin had been a spy" is not a sentence because the past perfect is used only contextually in a sequence  indicating a time before a time, then we need to define "sentence" in a way that satisfies such a distinction.

Consider the following sequence: "Mary worried about her new lover.  Colin had been a spy.  Could he be trusted?"  If Brad Johnston is correct, then "Colin had been a spy" is a fragment, and as such, it must be punctuated as part of a sentence containing a simple past time.  The sequence should therefore read, "Mary worried about her new lover: Colin had been a spy.  Could he be trusted?"

I tend to agree with Brad Johnston that such handling of the past perfect is preferable to grammatically separating that tense from the simple past, yet I would have to say also that identifying "Colin had been a spy" as a fragment is putting too fine a limit on what constitutes a sentence.

John Holt
Centenary College of NJ