ATEG Archives

May 2011

From:
Stephen King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2011 20:39:37 -0400
An embarrassing question: Are the infinitive phrases in the following sentences adjectival or
adverbial?

A. We were looking for a good reason to sell the house.

B. Sparrow needed something to distract the guards.

In A, the inf. phrase answers the question "why?", which would seem to make it adverbial. However, it
also answers the question "What kind of reason?", which would seem to make it adjectival. I find B
similar.

Gentle enlightenment is requested.