ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:41:01 -0500
Ed,

I feel saddened that your "quest" has left you so disillusioned and
(apparently) despondent. It seems to me that the search for answers is far
more valuable than any "results" you may get.

I don't really believe that there IS a simple, straightforward answer to
your "Primary Question." The nature of grammar study is such that it cannot
be ultimately pinned down to any logical sequence (I repeat, this is only my
belief system - others may disagree). I have likened it to music theory,
which is also a dynamic system. There's a legend that Beethoven was once
accused by a dilettante of writing "parallel fifths" in one of his string
quartets (something in his day which would have been akin to, say, splitting
an infinitive in English 25 years ago). He asked to be shown where he did
this; the dilettante produced the score and pointed out the offending notes.
Beethoven examined them and replied, "Oh, well, I allowed these parallel
fifths."

I think grammar is something like this. Full of explanations of practices
and breakable " rules" which aren't really rules, but descriptions. As such,
they are subject to beautiful violations by skilled writers and speakers. If
this is so, how can we pin down any set plan of instruction? Aren't we
better off just teaching grammar through the written and spoken words of the
"experts" and through the attempts at speech and writing by our students?

It's true that music students are taught music theory, but there is much
controversy over the methods, over the various theories to be taught, and
even the value in relation to musical performance (you might have guessed
that I am in favor of musicians learning as much music theory as they can).
So there we are.

Regarding your frustration over a lack of response to your challenge, I have
a question. Isn't what the 3S committee is supposed to be doing an attempt
to deal with the very challenge you started with? I don't understand why you
brought this question up again unless you feel that the committee is not
doing the right thing. Isn't the standards, scope, and sequence really what
you're talking about?

Also, would you feel disappointed if the committee resolved that there is no
one best way to teach grammar?

I remain ever curious and ever hopeful,

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School

"Reason enslaves all whose minds are not strong enough to master her." - G.
B. Shaw