ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
SIRAISI Tomio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:36:44 +0900
Hello everyone

I do not know the meaning of "land sakes" in the following passage.

Now I was standing in front of that window in my dining room, looking out.
I wasn't looking at anything in particular, but you can see how things
are.
A body can't help but see things that go on in the solarium over in the
Prescott
house unless the shades are drawn. And Mrs. Prescott never draws the
shades.
Land sakes, the things I've seen -- Well, this young man was in there with
Mrs. Prescott's sister. She was alone in that house with this long man.
                                -----Erle Stanley Gardner, Lame Canary
1937: 26

"Drink!" she sniffed. "When he's sober he's all right, but when he's
drunk he
starts looking for trouble. He's always beating someone up or getting
beat up.
Land sakes, he came in while I was there telling about it. He was reeking
of
whiskey, staggering all over the place, and he'd been in an awful fight.
Well,
perhaps that'll be a lesson to him. He got the worst of this one."
                                -----Erle Stanley Gardner, Lame Canary
1937: 29

Is it the same expression as "for God's sake"?
If so, why "land"?