ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:34:49 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/2000 1:04:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Many of my
 students have gotten the message from grammar and writing classes, and
 from the general atmosphere, it seems, that they don't know English or
 that their English is bad. They often go on to conclude from this that
 they're stupid and have less intellectual ability than they actually
 have.  >>

Johanna,

I see this often in my emerging writers.  They won't take chances on more
sophisticated writing because they are convinced they are "bad" writers.
That old affective filter comes up, and they refuse to try anything complex
at all.  Many times these same students beg for oral booktalks,
presentations, or dialogues because they feel their oral skills are as good
as anyone's.

This is exactly what I need to learn how to help them with.  I've talked
comma splices until I'm blue in the face.  It looks like that's part of the
problem, eh?

I'm learning a lot from this discussion. Thanks so much!

Gretchen (who's waiting for the trailer hitch to be rewired . . . . )