ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
Richard Betting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 07:51:04 -0500
Christine, another response:

            One way to discuss literature in the present tense is to compare
it to announcing a game. Baseball, for example. "Wanzer winds up, checks the
runner at first, comes in with the 3-1 pitch. Hunter fouls it off. Full
count. Darby will be running with the pitch. . . . "

            Readers need to experience literature. Show your students that
writing is carrying on a conversation about their experience. Christine uses
some good examples.

 Or like this. One of the first things I look for when I begin a novel is
the teller of the story. Is the story being told by a character (or
several)? Or is the writer hiding behind the characters and telling us (some
of) what s/he knows? Snow, for example, begins like this: "The silence of
snow, thought the man sitting just behind the bus driver. If this were the
beginning of a poem, he would have called the thing he felt inside him the
silence of snow." Aha, I cry, no obvious narrator.

            Let's practice. Jeanette, can you illustrate with something you
read?

"I read Huck Finn in high school, you know, and it's, like, hard. Well, you
asked and I'm saying what it was. Okay, the parts about Huck lying are
pretty good. I remember when he gets caught by that woman, Mrs. Loftus,
because he doesn't know how to thread a needle. Like that, you mean?"

Okay. How about a poem? Phillip?

"We read Frost's poem about spring. I remember the first lines: 'Nature's
first green is gold, her hardest hue to hold.' Then the poem goes on to say
that it's like the Garden of Eden not lasting. 'Nothing gold can stay.' I
like it because it's simple, almost a cliché and yet worth remembering."

I like Hopkins' poetry. One begins: "Margaret, are you grieving/over
goldengrove unleaving.?" We can talk about who the narrator is, how old,
where the narrator and Margaret are at the time of the incident, and why the
narrator uses such unusual sounding words. Lots to discuss, isn't there?
Eveleth, do you have an example?

"Yes. In Louise Erdrich's story 'The Red Convertible' (Love Medicine) the
story is told by Lyman Lamartine. He says, 'I was the first one to drive a
convertible on my reservation. And of course it was red, a red Olds. I owned
that car along with my brother Henry Junior. We owned it together until his
boots filled with water on a windy night and he bought out my share.' Lyman
tells us that he beat on the car with a hammer to get Henry Junior to pay
attention, to do something after he came home from Vietnam. Henry Junior
dies at the end. Jumps into the Red River and drowns, and Lyman drives the
car into the river after him. It's a sad ending."

Lots to discuss there too.

And so on.  Dick Betting