ATEG Archives

April 2010

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:14:26 -0400
Herb,

Thanks -- the connection to licensing gave me a better idea of where I was wanting to disagree. I'd rather deal with the distinction between "Patient-less 'eat'" and "Patient-ful 'eat'" as a difference in process type, with the form being associated with two different process types, but it's not like I can rule out other accounts. I suspect 'transitivity' is somewhat like 'markedness' -- it's been used in enough ways that the only guaranteed safe course is to include an operating definition and be ready to duck.

With undergrads, I just say that a lot of verbs can be used with more than one sense, and that construction type can vary along with that (an account I have to use for the linking/non-linking versions of 'smell', etc. anyway). Of course, I seem to have trouble convincing them that defining verbs simply as "action words" is an oversimplification, so I'm not sure my explanations are particularly effective....

Bill Spruiell