ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:37:40 -0500
I totally agree with Ed that "high school graduates should be able to
identify the subjects, verbs, and clauses in a typical passage written by a
high school student." I would say that a middle school graduate should be
able to identify the subjects, verbs, and clauses in a typical passage
written by a middle school student, too -- in fact, I think this was my
point, which Ed seems to disagree with. High school is rather a late time in
a student's life to be getting training in identifying subjects and verbs
for the first time -- they should have had that training in elementary
school (that was a major point of my response to Cynthia)! Maybe if the
student teachers you mention had learned the fundamentals earlier, they
would not have felt so lost later on.

It seems that the cycle of not being educated early enough is
self-perpetuating. It also seems (to me at least) that the interests of this
group (ATEG) are clearly focused on breaking that cycle so that prospective
teachers arrive at college without the need for remediation in basic
sentence structure! We are exceedingly interested in opening the dialogue
with the K-8 community, not only with college professors and linguists .
High school should be devoted to expanding the basic skills learned in
elementary and middle school, so students are prepared to read and write
texts with more sophisticated language than they dealt with in their earlier
years - you know, real literature, and meaningful compositions.

For the record, I came from a school system that did a poor job with these
basics; I am largely self-taught in grammar due to my involvement in
theatre. Later in graduate school, I had one required course in linguistics,
but I did not come out of it feeling the same way as the students Ed
mentions; why that is, I am not sure, but I suspect it has to do with
personal interests and self-study -- I found the subjects of linguistics,
the history of the language, and grammar fascinating, so I jumped into them
with both feet and all at once. I realize that this was my good fortune and
is not necessarily what we can expect of everyone.

There are no easy answers or glib responses that will solve these problems;
on the other hand, giving up on a group so devoted as ATEG is because not
everyone agrees, because there are no simple answers, or because not
everyone has the same vision won't fix a *&!@ thing!

Paul E. Doniger