ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:41:35 -0500
Linda,
    My computer has been balking, so I apologize for not replying to your
earlier post. I'll try to catch up here.
   I was actually replying to Herb's early response to Cynthia, in which
he said we should shy away from "parts of speech" explanations because
students aren't aware of them enough to follow the explanation, and
edge toward levels of formality. I'm sure I wasn't overly clear. Herb
of course is right in his observbations about what people are likely to
know, but then I thought about how we may enable this sort of ignorance
by giving people what they think grammar is all about, rules for use
that don't trouble them with understanding. I don't mean to imply
criticism to any of us, especailly Herb, who has been an advocate of
public grammar as long as I have known him, just an observation about
how we get caught up in the "you don't need to know about language"
syndrome of the times. We try to be helpful, but become complicit.
   Halliday has some neat observations about the reciprocal nature of
mental processes. When something scares us, we can feel active and
passsive at the same  time. "I am scared of it. It frightens me." "I
admire Ghandi. He impresses me." I think the notion of agency shifts
when we move to emotions and thoughts. It's not as cut and dried as it
is in a mechanical process. When w elove someone, we are both agent and
patient.
   I worry that "level of formality" is just a substitute for "correct" or
"incorrect", with some slight mitigation.
   This is partly a response to Johanna's post. When we say "wasted" on
the witness stand, we are not just using taboo words, but insulting our
audience by using words than may not be "shared". It violates some sort
of maxim of communication. Academics do it on the other end of the
spectrum, using technical terms that shut out much of the public, but
not at the expense of the speaker.
   It's interesting that "scared" is an official adjective in the two
dictionaries I consulted. That would be a neat assignment for a class,
looking through a dictionary to discover which participles have been
granted full adjective status and which kind of hang on as verbs in
adjectival roles. How would a dictionary maker decide?
   "Scare" is a noun as well. We need to find ways to make "parts of
speech" explorations much more interesting and flexible.
   At what point does "level of formality" become a euphemism for
"incorrect"?
   Sorry to mix a number of comments in a single post.

Craig

 Great data, R Michael Medley!