ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Judy Diamondstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:29:50 -0000
Thanks to Jeff, Brock, and Harry. The problem is becoming much more clearly
articulated for me. It seems to me that the emergent articulation is quite
distinct from that of the Australian genre theorists in an important way. As
I discussed the work on "probabilities," I implied a kind of prescriptivism.
While I do believe that text-level expectations MUST be spelled out for
students so that they know what they are, I also believe that students
should be encouraged to violate conventions when the meanings they want to
make require it. A focus on a "grammar of passages"  -- like Harry's
brushstrokes -- perhaps invites more experimentation. Yes, very interesting....

Judy

Judith Diamondstone  (732) 932-7496  Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183