ATEG Archives

January 2005

From:
Ben Varner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:09:51 -0700
Aims Community College in Greeley, Colorado, will host the Colorado
Community College Conference on Composition on Friday, April 8, 2005.
The deadline for proposals is January 31, 2005.

The theme will be "FROM VINTAGE TO VANGUARD," with an emphasis on the
exchange of effective classroom practices.

Please view the following Call for Papers and Proposals for additional
information.  You may email your proposals to Chuck Fisher at
[log in to unmask] or mail to:

Chuck Fisher
Aims Community College
5401 W. 20th St.
Greeley, CO 80634

October 22, 2004

Call For Papers and Presentations
Colorado Community College Conference on Composition: 2005

Dear Colleague:

Aims Community College in Greeley will be hosting the Colorado
Community College Conference on Composition (5C’s) on Friday, April 8,
2005.  We hope this date won’t interfere with anyone’s spring break.

Participants in the 5C’s over the years have enthusiastically endorsed
the event as Colorado’s top writing conference, and we hope to continue
that tradition this year.  We are delighted to announce that our
keynote speaker will be Sara McKinnon from Pueblo Community College.
McKinnon has devoted 34 years to the profession, and her experience
spans nearly every educational subject and venue in language arts,
including composition, technical writing, and ESL at the high school,
university, and community college level.  She has been the recipient of
many awards, including the Award for Teaching Excellence at the 1996
5C's conference.

We are focusing the 2005 conference on the following theme:

"From Vintage to Vanguard:  Best Practices in Teaching English"

One of the most fruitful exchanges for educators occurs when “teachers
talk to teachers.”  In particular, good things happen when teachers
start exchanging, often anecdotally, techniques and perspectives on
their classroom practices.  This year, 5C’s offers a theme in the same
spirit.

In the last few years, we've seen many changes in the profession:
increased emphasis on visual rhetoric, service learning, electronic
portfolios, classrooms wired with interactive white boards, the
proliferation of distance courses, and online resources packaged with
textbooks.  We have all been touched by these changes; some of us have
enthusiastically supported such changes—even have been at the vanguard
of innovations in our own institutions and departments.  Others have
been slower to accept these changes, perhaps suspicious that technology
is driving teaching practices and believing that vintage teaching
methods still have much merit.  As one colleague put it, "Chalk is
technology, too!"

This year's conference explores the healthy tension between the vintage
and the vanguard, recognizing the merits in both. How can we as English
teachers inform our teaching with innovation while still acknowledging
traditional values in writing?

We are soliciting proposals for presentations that best represent the
connection between "vintage" and "vanguard" in the teaching of
composition, literature, and creative writing.  Consider the following
questions as "starter" ideas:

Is teaching grammar obsolete?
What do we tell students good writing is?
Have definitions of good writing changed?
What models of good writing are we presenting to students?
Must we have high-tech classrooms and equipment to teach good writing?
How can we effectively teach without technology?
How can we effectively teach with technology?
How can we incorporate "vintage" teaching with "vanguard" teaching in
our classrooms?

Clearly, many more topics are possible; your own teaching innovations
and expertise will no doubt suggest them. We look forward to receiving
presentation proposals from you.  Please observe the following
guidelines:

•    Submit by snail-mail, or email. (Please, no more than one typed
          page)
•    Include a title as you want it to appear in the program
•    Include a publishable abstract (50-100 words)
•    Include a brief autobiography
•    Include the length of presentation (single presenter): 45-50
          minutes
•    Include the length of presentation (panel or workshop): 45-90
          minutes
•    Include a statement of technology needs

As always, part-time faculty and full-time faculty from either two- or
four-year institutions, as well as graduate students, teaching
assistants, and writing center support staff and tutors are encouraged
to submit proposals.  Please share this information with your entire
communications faculty.

As in other years, samples from a variety of textbook publishers will
be exhibited.   If you have a particular book you’d like us to display,
please let us know.

ALSO,

If you know of an instructor whose contributions to students’ learning
are clearly outstanding, and you would like to nominate him or her for
the 5C’s Award for Teaching Excellence, please complete and return the
Nomination Form included here (even if you do not wish to present at
the conference).  The award winner must be able to attend the
conference.

Please submit proposals via email to [log in to unmask] or mail to :

     Chuck Fisher
     Aims Community College
     5401 W. 20th Street
     Greeley, CO  80634

Proposals should reach us by January 31, 2005.

Sincerely,

Chuck Fisher                Keith Reierstad
Faculty, English            Faculty, English, Ft. Lupton Campus

Nomination Form

5C’s AWARD FOR TEACHING EXCELLENCE

It has become a tradition of the 5C’s to present an award to a writing
instructor who has contributed to the learning of students in
outstanding ways.  Past winners have embodied the qualities of hard
work, dedication, innovation, and general excellence in teaching that
enable students to succeed and excel.

If you know of a writing instructor – at a secondary or post-secondary
school—who fits this profile of excellence, please fill out the
nomination form below.  And if you would like to participate in the
selection process itself, please indicate that as well.  Return the
form to Chuck Fisher at the address in the cover letter.

5C’s AWARD NOMINATION

Nominee’s name:

Nominee’s school:

Your name:

Your email address:

I would like to help select the award winner: Yes  No

Statement:  Why the nominee deserves the award (no more than 250 words,
please):