ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:15:17 -0500
John,
    You seem to be making very thoughtful decisions about how to help your
students. If there's an important hoop, you have to take it seriously,
but you don't need to be subservient to it.
   When I look at SAT sample questions, I find about one in four
perplexing. I think they want students to "intuit" a better sentence,
but they also want those intuitions to match the intuitions of the test
makers, which, I have to admit, are not always the same as mine. I see
the same dynamic at work with writing teachers who rewrite students'
sentences in ways that sometimes seem arbitrary or idiosyncratic. In
effect, they want the students to share their intuitions, to write like
them, without reflection on how difficult (impossible?) that might be.
I think this is one symptom of an overall loss of knowledge about
language, and you're right: the students affected the most will be
those whose background is different from the testmakers. Testing
explicit knowledge would level the playing field. All students would be
on equal footing.
   As much as possible, I want students to own their own writing. They
should be free to break conventions if they can do so knowing what
those conventions are. They should make choices that they feel best
convey their own evolving intentions. Knowledge of conventions and
knowledge of rhetorical options are more important than behavior.

Craig

 Craig,