ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:56 -0400
Linda,
  I find it easier to think of acting and behaving as the categories, with
acting being somewhat willful and behaving much less so.  You can have
verbs that seem pretty much just one (wandering seems on the acting end,
dying on the behaving), but so many can go one way or the other
depending on context. (Jumping and coughing can be either, I think. We
cough involuntarily most of the time and certainly jump when startled.)
I think it has something to do with being a biological entity, often
having a fuzzy line between what is under our control and what is not. I
don't think it carries over to the inanimate except metaphorically. (A
spring can jump out of our hands.  Our car batteries die.)

Craig >

 There is a semantic distinction (with syntactic correlates) among some of