ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 15:28:32 -0500
Esteemed ATEGers,

I'm not up to speed on these curriculum issues, but I can testify that Martha is right about the history of the research into the connection between grammar and writing. In my dissertation research I have, with great effort and the angelic help of some wonderful reference librarians at numerous universities, gained access to some of the old dissertations that deal with grammar and writing issues, some going back as far even as 1917. What they reveal that is relevant to this discussion are two things:

First, especially in the 1930s and 1940s, a great deal of research was done that showed, in essence, that there was a major difference in effectiveness between teaching students "grammatical terminology," which was/is also referred to as "formal grammar instruction," and teaching what came to be called "functional grammar," which was defined, as the name implies, as grammar that helped students to understand how to write correct sentences. To us, looking back 60-70 years later, this may seem like common sense, but it was a big issue then. There was a fairly general consensus, I think, that the teaching of "formal grammatical terminology," removed from the context of actual writing (parts of speech, drill and kill, etc.), did not help students to write better, but--and this is important--there was also a fairly general consensus that teaching functional grammar DID help students.

A second factor that seems relevant is that the research of the time also had made a fairly strong statement--once again, along seemingly common-sense lines--that what applied to elementary-school children did not necessarily apply to college-age students. That is, some research had shown that younger children did not yet have the ability to learn, master, and more importantly, assimilate into their writing the grammatical principles they were being taught--but by the time they got to college, they did have that ability, and therefore would profit from instruction in grammar. This is an aspect of the discussion that we never hear about, eh?

These two statements work together to produce a fairly serious indictment not only of Harris's 1962 dissertation but also of Braddock's/the NCTE's and others' seemingly wholesale adoption of Harris's statements as "gospel truth" regarding grammar teaching. Specifically, what Harris found--that teaching "grammatical terminology" was not helpful--had been known already for decades. Second, Harris's study was conducted with 12-14-year-olds, and therefore not at all generalizable to older students, most especially not to college students.

However, the worst of all was the sweeping generalization that was made, resulting from an alarming disconnect between what was actually said in Harris's study and what everyone seemed to read into it. Harris did not deny that teaching functional grammar might be helpful; he only said that teaching formal, "grammatical terminology" was harmful. But the way Braddock's report presented it, and what everyone seemed to read, was that teaching GRAMMAR--any grammar--was harmful. That interpretation of Harris's dissertation was incorrect, and (as Martha said) immensely harmful, and it has stayed that way for more than 40 years.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Graduate Assistant, Graduate School Fellowships and Scholarships
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University