ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:44:33 -0400
Tim,
   You do put it very succinctly: ":more than just a series of logical
relationships of word to word to word."  I could give you a lengthy
answer, but I'll try to be brief.
    If we start from the sentence, we can measure it against norms of
grammaticality>(whether it follows the natural sentence generating
rules of the language) or against norms of "correctness" (the usual
handbook stuff.) If we want to tell whether the sentence is effective,
however, we need to look at its discourse role.  And from that
perspective, it is possible to say at times that a sentence is
ungrammatical or incorrect or both, but highly effective. They are
different lenses.
   A lot of the quarrelling that goes on about grammar comes from the war
between descriptive and prescriptive camps, largely those who see the
rule driven nature of all language and those who think of nature as in
need of begin controlled.  But neither of these approaches can work in
harmony with composition, which inevitably needs to view revision as
context based.
   How does this work out in practice? One starting point is the notion
that  sentence is not a "complete thought", but a move in a series of
related moves.  Sentence boundaries are very flexible, and a sentence
can vary widely in the amount of information it contains and in the way
that information is parceled out or organized. Without a carryover of
meaning from one sentence to another, there is no coherence or
cohesion. Insofar as a text is a succession of complete, discreet
thoughts, it is almost impossible to follow. Most student writing
suffers from a decontextualized view of the sentence (lack of coherence
and cohesion), and "correcting" those sentences does not fix the larger
problems of the text. A whole other frame of reference comes into play,
some of that somewhat unfamiliar to many of us (given and new, theme
and rheme, intonation units, tonic prominence, nominalization patterns,
grammatical metaphor, and so on.) But The main idea is that you work
top down, asking yourself what sort of changes you would like to make
to a text (less argumentative, clearer, less stress on A and more on B,
and so on) and then look for the adjustments that would carry that out.
You don't just CORRECT sentences, but REVISE them, and grammar has an
enormously important (absolutely inevitable) role in all of that.
     Fish is not the first or last to see a radical split between content
and form. You can't solve that problem by choosing one side over the
other, though you can sustain a career by that kind of grandstanding.
The problem with form is that it CAN and, in fact, usually is
DECONTEXTUALIZED. The split between grammar and rhetoric will never
heal until we bring them back together.
    Like you, I have deep suspicions about the studies that show grammar
doesn't carry over to writing. You can make a good case that teaching
writing doesn't carry over to writing, depending on what approach is
being used. Conformity to decontextualized notions of form is not what
makes good writing effective, and that's as true at the level of the
paragraph as that is at the level of the sentence.  Ultimately, one
would hope that those choices are made in harmony with an evolving
purpose and in harmony with each other.
    I hope that makes sense.

Craig
Thanks, Craig,